BroadSoft has announced it now offers communications applications optimized for 4G networks. The new portfolio of applications is designed to help mobile and fixed-line service providers take advantage of faster speeds offered by 4G mobile networks along with the growing supply of mobile devices that are 4G compatible.
The latest portfolio from BroadSoft is called MobileMxD and it includes a suite of consumer and unified communications (UC) services. The new applications target a mix of consumer and enterprise needs, and the portfolio is meant to be complementary with the company's BroadCloud portfolio of cloud-based, hosted infrastructure used to provide for software-as-a-service (SaaS) communications features.
MOBILE UC: The ultimate end game
MobileMxD supports all major smartphone and tablet operating systems and 4G enabled devices, according to the company's statement. VoIP services over 4G/LTE networks are not designed as part of this platform offer, although traditional mobile voice is integrated with the service; rather, the portfolio is focused on data-centric applications including the availability of high-definition audio and video.
Initial features include:
• MxDFamilyCenter -- A Web-based application offering personalized communication services designed to help families stay connected.
• MxDCallCenter -- Offering Call Center capabilities including video calling.
• MxD Instant Messaging and Presence -- Providing smartphone and tablet access to business contacts from an integrated directory, along with mobile presence and location indicators.
• MxDMeeting -- Web collaboration capabilities.
• MxDProVideo -- Video-calling and conferencing for mobile devices.
Commenting on the company's move, Joe McGarvey, principal analyst for IP services infrastructure at Current Analysis said, "BroadSoft is wisely leveraging its platform and recent asset acquisitions to increase the appeal of its offering to converged and mobile operators. In addition to providing these operators with unique consumer and enterprise applications and services that are not available from conventional app stores, BroadSoft is using the MobileMxD solutions as an opportunity to create a revenue flow from mobile operators in advance of mainstream adoption of mobile VoIP, which it at best a couple of years away."
BroadSoft will be demonstrating the new services next month at Mobile World Congress Conference being held in Barcelona, Spain.