How We Tested Mobile Device Management

Mobile devices used included a Blackberry Bold 9780 (Blackberry v. 6.0.0.4xx), a Blackberry Curve 9330 (Blackberry 5.0xxx), a Palm Pre (WebOS 1.4.5), an Apple iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.2.1), an Apple iPad (iOS 4.3.1), Motorola Droid 2 (Android 2.2), a T-Mobile G1 (Android 2.2 with Cyanogen mod 6.1) and a Motorola Xoom tablet (Android 3/Honeycomb). The Droid 2 and G1 were rooted, and we alternately jail-broke the iPhone and restored it.

Since we were testing third-party MDM applications, we chose to not use Blackberry Enterprise Server as it's a first-party product along side our tested products, except for Tangoe MDM, where it was provided for us. Prices and actions quoted for BES use are optional at an extra cost from Tangoe.

Where applicable, we hosted and tested server VMs and services on XenServer 5.6 on an HP DL580-G5 (16-core 32GB server) connected to a Compellent SAN via iSCSI through and with a 10GB Extreme Layer 2/3 Switch, which in turn was connected via a 100Mbps link to nFrame.com's Internet backbone. We controlled the NOC remotely through Comcast "business-class" broadband from our lab facility using Macbook Pros. We used Verizon and T-Mobile as carriers.

Return to main test.

Editors' Picks
Join the discussion
Be the first to comment on this article. Our Commenting Policies