Wanted for questioning in his neighbor's murder, anti-virus pioneer John McAfee reportedly sits in a Guatemalan jail cell this morning facing possible extradition by the Belizean authorities he says he fears so deeply that he has been on the run from them for three-plus weeks.
Yet his blog remains active, populated with a string of posts that purport to have been written by McAfee.
From an Associated Press account:
The fate of the anti-virus guru remained unclear Thursday as Guatemalan authorities awaited word from their Foreign Ministry as to what they would do with McAfee and whether they intended to send him back to Belize, where he is a person of interest in the killing of a fellow ex-pat.
"We are awaiting instructions from the Foreign Ministry. It will be the foreign relations department that decides the process," Interior Minister Mauricio Lopez Bonilla said following McAfee's arrest Wednesday at a hotel in an upscale part of Guatemala City.
Meanwhile, McAfee appears to be blogging about his situation from a jail cell using a computer that was provided to him by those detaining him, according to McAfee, who, it should always be remembered, cannot be trusted to tell us the time of day.
From one of the latest posts on his blog:
I am in jail in Guatemala. Vastly superior to Belize jails. I asked for a computer and one magically appeared. The coffee is also excellent.
Only time will tell what will happen. No one has a crystal ball. However, I would be truly shocked if I did not conduct the press conference tomorrow as I had originally planned.
I believe, by the way, that blogging from a jail cell might be a groundbreaking activity. Let's see if it catches on.
What a card. McAfee had earlier promised that posts to his blog would continue in the event of his capture, and while the most recent entries clearly reflect the most recent events, there is no way to know whether he authored or posted them.
I once wrote that I was blogging from a stuck elevator ... on April Fool's Day.
(Update, 3:55: Media reports indicate McAfee has had a heart attack or heart attacks.)
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Microsoft to IE haters: “We want you back … now shush.”
- A gift guide to please any geek … 25 years ago.
- Did #FoolishParents name daughter Hashtag?
- John McAfee’s blog admin explains his ‘accidental’ role.
- Cisco VP to memo leaker: Finding you is “now my hobby.”
- 30 years later: Imagine the Harvard-Yale balloon prank today.
- Magician Teller among many fooled by software dirty trick.
- And company’s apology doesn’t help much.
- So this guy’s car breaks down in front of Steve Jobs’ driveway.
- Watch a 500-pound server rack dropped off an 18-story building.
- 2012’s 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.