There seem to be three possibilities here: Either Linus Torvalds has been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by a doppelganger; someone is simply impersonating him on the Linux Kernel Mailing List (LKML); or - and I know this sounds crazy -- the famously profane fellow is finally mellowing out.
Here's an excerpt from a post to LKML in which someone claiming to be Torvalds discusses the latest release candidate of the Linux kernel and the amount of work that it has entailed, especially for Torvalds:
Guys, guys, guys. I'm going to have to start cursing again unless you stop sending me non-critical stuff. So the next pull request I get that has "cleanups" or just pointless churn, I'm going to call you guys out on, and try to come up with new ways to insult you, your mother, and your deceased pet hamster.
So don't do it. Send me just fixes to serious problems. Ok? Anyway, the rc5 changes are pretty much all over: pretty much exactly half are drivers (networking, usb, gpu, mmc, sound..), with the other half being various other subsystems. Some arch updates: MIPS, arm, smattering of ia64, microblaze, s390 and some x86. And networking (non-driver), xfs, fuse, gfs2, jfs.
So there's more than I'd like, but at least none of it looks particularly scary.
Go out and test. And again - please don't make me curse you and your pets.
He even said please.
My money is on doppelganger.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Nothing says narcissist like wearing Google Glass on a date.
- Microsoft’s opening act since Windows 95: Weezer.
- Lawyer questions legal ethics of LinkedIn “endorsements”
- Will entering your ATM PIN in reverse summon the police?
- EFF urges court: Stop porn-copyright ‘shakedowns’
- Steve Jobs ordered Apple ads off Fox News.
- IT pro has a hair-raising hobby.
- Shopzilla sends a bottle to say sorry about trademark whine.
- Ever done the Laptop Drive of Shame?
- How that “extra 9” could ward off a Zombie Apocalypse
- Yahoo buys teen’s startup for $30M, hires him … and WHAT?
- 2013’s 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries