It was -- assuming past tense remains applicable here -- one of those Internet Easter eggs that would often show up on lists of Internet Easter eggs: Click on the exclamation point after Yahoo on the Yahoo homepage and you'd hear a chorus of yodelers sing "Ya-hooooo-oo." This tribute to the company's 1990s TV commercials had been active since at least 2006 and originally featured a solo by the famous Yahoo yodeler Wylie Gustafson.
Here's what the choral version sounded like (if you don't see the audio player hit refresh):
It is no more, however. Now you can click on that exclamation point all day long and all you'll get is carpal tunnel syndrome. (Just to make sure the problem wasn't in my set, I asked a half-dozen friends and colleagues to try for themselves: Not a yodel was heard.)
I can't tell you precisely when the hidden yodel disappeared - or why - but I have asked the Yahoo public relations department for details. My suspicion would be that the move coincided with Yahoo's homepage redesign back in February. The yodel was working last July, according to Quora.
Also, until I hear otherwise I wouldn't rule out a return engagement, as the yodel has gone on hiatus before.
While many have suggested over the years that Yahoo delete the exclamation point altogether from its corporate logo, there does not appear to be any anti-yodeling sentiment at the company these days. On the contrary, Yahoo's music blog interviewed yodeler Gustafson just last month:
However, it needs to be noted that Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer doesn't exactly seem to be the yodeling type.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Vooza’s “Weak Password” video: We’ve all been there.
- Torvalds: Stop me before I curse again.
- Nothing says narcissist like wearing Google Glass on a date.
- Microsoft’s opening act since Windows 95: Weezer.
- Lawyer questions legal ethics of LinkedIn “endorsements”
- Will entering your ATM PIN in reverse summon the police?
- EFF urges court: Stop porn-copyright ‘shakedowns’
- Steve Jobs ordered Apple ads off Fox News.
- IT pro has a hair-raising hobby.
- Ever done the Laptop Drive of Shame?
- How that “extra 9” could ward off a Zombie Apocalypse
- Yahoo buys teen’s startup for $30M, hires him … and WHAT?
- 2013’s 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries