They went so fast you might think iFixit was giving away tickets to Apple's instantly sold-out WorldWide Developers Conference.
Nope. We're talking about the free pentalobe screwdrivers that iFixit promised to give iPhone users a few weeks ago. The tool is needed to get at the innards of an iPhone because Apple secures the devices with pentalobe screws instead of the standard Philips variety.
Why 1,776? Remove the comma from the number.
From an email sent by iFixit moments ago:
We kicked off Liberation Week bright and early yesterday morning, offering two free iPhone Liberation Kits to the first 1,776 people who signed up. We thought the kits might go quickly; we didn't expect they would go this quickly. In exactly 16 minutes, 1,776 people snapped up every one of the 3,552 Liberation Kits we set aside for free-shipping included.
Of course, we wanted everyone to have a Liberation Kit. So, we dropped the price of our remaining Liberation Kits for the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 down to $0.00 + shipping. By day's end, we had given away over 9,000 Liberation Kits; the count is now 10,600. That's 10,600 iPhones that will soon be liberated. Every replaced pentalobe screw is a powerful symbol of our resistance: We will not be locked out of our phones!
The company says it will continue to ship "Liberation Kits" for only the cost of shipping until July 5 ... or they run out of stock.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive
- State finds grocery scanners 100% accurate?
- "Geek-themed Meme of the Week" for DIYers.
- AG wants to autocomplete war on drugs.
- Hey, Cambridge, Netscape 4.0 was released in 1997.
- What could go wrong @Yahoo.com?
- Hidden yodelers on Yahoo homepage fall silent.
- Vooza’s “Weak Password” video: We’ve all been there.
- Torvalds: Stop me before I curse again.
- Nothing says narcissist like wearing Google Glass on a date.
- Microsoft’s opening act since Windows 95: Weezer.
- Will entering your ATM PIN in reverse summon the police?
- Steve Jobs ordered Apple ads off Fox News.
- IT pro has a hair-raising hobby.
- How that “extra 9” could ward off a Zombie Apocalypse
- 2013’s 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries