Network research firm, the Dell’Oro Group, reports that Alcatel-Lucent gained almost five percentage points of service provider edge router market share in 2009, reaching 20%, the first time in ten years that a vendor other than Juniper has occupied the No. 2 position. According to Basil Alwan, president of Alcatel-Lucent’s IP Activities and head of carrier portfolio strategy:
"Dell Oro’s report for 2009 reinforces the market success and momentum that we started back in 2004 and that continues to this day. The service provider edge is where operators define and deliver services for residential, mobile and business customers, making it a key focus for capital investment, despite the tough economic environment throughout 2009. This is the market opportunity that Alcatel-Lucent’s service router portfolio is ideally suited to address, and the reason we’ve taken another five points of market share in the last year."
Related Stories: Cisco sees sequential growth as service provider routers rebound in Q4 Together, Cisco and Juniper lost 10% of the worldwide router market in 2009 Om Malik of GigaOM - Is Competition Starting to Eat Into Cisco’s Core Markets?
What's your take, why do you think Alcatel-Lucent knocked off Juniper as No. 2 in the service provider edge router market?
- U.S. software engineer piloted plane in domestic terrorist attack on Austin, Texas
- Together, Cisco and Juniper lost 10% of the worldwide router market in 2009
- Cisco's storied past as the most valuable company on earth
- How to setup Cisco's Flexible NetFlow (FNF) with LEGO Blocks
- Cisco CEO John Chambers sells 2.2 million shares of his Cisco stock 5 days after announcing Cisco was back to record profits
- 61 CCIEs dropped out of Cisco's highly coveted cert program over the last 30 days
- Cisco IP phones praised in email to then Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and First Dude, Todd Palin
- New markets for Cisco not generating revenue, Chambers says
- Cisco's F2Q10 accounts receivable soar $1.34 billion year over year!
- Cisco joins growing laundry list of entities paying Melissa Hathaway to be senior security advisor
- Turmoil at Vyatta as Cisco prepares to announce its Q2FY10 earnings?
- Brocade BCNE most valuable cert on earth
- Pineapple ratings get dished out to Cisco blogs that rock for 2010
- Avian Securities reiterates its negative opinion about Juniper Networks
- Riverbed expected to maintain its WAN optimization market share
- Cisco appears to have missed the newest market transition: Don't be evil
- Cyber attacks: Cisco appears to embrace China while Google fights China
- Cisco CCIE R&S count plummets -110
- Will Cisco gear become search engine toll collectors?
- View Brad Reese on Cisco Story Archives
|Free Cisco Tools Cisco Refurbished Cisco Repair and Hardware Troubleshooting Cisco How-To Tutorials Cisco Power Supplies|