Yours truly was about to update my flight tracking of the private jet owned by Cisco CEO John Chambers, when I was greeted by the following message on the nifty live flight tracking website, Flightaware.com: What a bummer to see the message: This aircraft (N273JC) is not available for tracking per request from the owner/operator. Why was the message above such a bummer to me? Well, it was only 12 days ago that I started my little blogging experiment: Where's Cisco CEO John Chambers today? The purpose of my blogging experiment? To demonstrate the actual success that Cisco hardware, software, and service offerings have experienced in creating the Internet solutions that make networks possible-providing easy access to information anywhere, at any time. In only 12 days, my "easy access to information anywhere, at any time" went poof! Investigating to find out exactly why, yours truly has learned that the U.S. Department of Transportation's Volpe Transportation Center has a data stream service called the Aircraft Situation Display to Industry (ASDI), whose stream consists of data elements which show the position and flight plans of all aircraft in the U.S. and optionally, U.K. airspace. This ASDI data stream is made available to outside vendors such as Flightaware.com, however, in order to have access to the ASDI data stream, Flightaware and other vendors have to sign the Vendor Code of Conduct, which addresses specific actions ASDI vendors are expected to comply with that meet the intent of paragraph 9 of the FAA Memorandum of Agreement (MOA). All John Chambers had to do to block the live flight tracking of his private jet was submit the Block Aircraft Registration Request (BARR) Form. BARR submissions must be printed on the aircraft operator's company letterhead, signed, and accompanied with a copy of the aircraft registration certificate for each aircraft listed. Read more about flight tracking and the ASDI data stream.
Perhaps yours truly will begin to live a more productive life, now that I can no longer track the private jet flights of Cisco CEO John Chambers! BradReese.Com Cisco Refurbished - Services that protect, maintain and optimize Cisco hardware Contact: Brad Reese Twitter: http://twitter.com/BradReese
- Cisco supports Open Cloud Manifesto, while the Rolling Stones remain holdouts
- Venture capitalists turn tail rather than compete against Cisco
- Lookout Death Row Records, here comes a new hit, the Cisco NetFlow Rap song
- A rival lists Cisco's top 5 worst technology moves
- Is theft a family tradition of U.S. CIO Vivek Kundra?
- Is Cisco's true cost purchasing Pure Digital $747M?
- Cisco unified computing: Gold's gym for buff CIOs or an assisted living center for CIOs to be taken care of?
- Cisco unified computing vs. a zero-capex world
- Is U.S. CIO Vivek Kundra a cooked goose?
- Cisco CCNA - Yusuf Acar busted by FBI as perp in federal bribery sting
- View Brad Reese on Cisco Story Archives