To say the Windows Mobile web browser is a bit long in the tooth would be as big of an understatement as saying Wall Street thrives on greed. Newer mobile OS's on the iPhone, Google Android and Palm Pre make Windows Mobile 6.x's web browser look as ancient as DOS text graphics. But, there's good news. Great news actually! Enter... Skyfire.
Skyfire is a free, downloadable web browser that not only brings Windows Mobile's web browsing up to par with other mobile OSs, it surpasses them.
First, Skyfire is fast... really fast. Just try zooming in and out on a page, or scrolling. Loading pages is quick too. And it gets better -- support for dynamic web sites. Skyfire supports Flash 10, Silverlight, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, and Realplayer. So now you can tread where iPhones fear to go... sites with Flash.
Skyfire also has some nice added features too. View your activity feed and share content easily via SMS, Facebook or Twitter without having to leave the browser to use a separate app, or navigating to a separate web page. There's a built in search feature, and Skyfire supports both touch and none touch screen interfaces as well.
You can get Skyfire by pointing your existing Windows Mobile browser (for the last time, thankfully) to m.skyfire.com or by visiting http://get.skyfire.com from your PC.
Nice work, Skyfire team. See a need and fill it. Looks like Skyfire could give the new browser in Windows Mobile 7 a run for its money.
Like this? Here are some of Mitchell's recent posts.
Great Beginning and Intermediate Books Mitchell Recommends:
- Last Week's Patches Tank Internet Explorer
- Microsoft UK Ads Less Cute and More Cheeky
- Snow Leopard's Reliance On Fundamentals Isn't Enough To Beat Windows 7
- Bing Favors Microsoft, Time For A Search Engine Users Bill Of Rights
- Microsoft Overreacts And Drops Anti-Stimulus Financing Package On Partners
- Where Will Office, Groove and SharePoint Finally Converge?
- Will The Cloud Manage To Persist?
Also visit Mitchell's other blogs and podcasts:
- Beginning SharePoint 2007
- Beginning SharePoint 2007 Administration: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
- Beginning C# 3.0: An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Programming .NET 3.5