- 9:30 AM Missed the breakfast and keynote.
- 9:35 AM Listening to Steve Souders talk about Kite. Very short speech, not so much a keynote a it was a product advertisement for Keynote. Long story short, it's a pretty slick performance metrics system with heavy browser integration.
- 9:40 AM Scott Ruthfield from WhitePages.com is giving his talk, Jiffy: Open Source Performance Measurement and Instrumentation about Jiffy, a newly announced open-source performance monitoring suite. He's comparing it to Gomez and Keynote. It would be nice if O'Reilly would put a link to the software on their age about this talk. Provides real-time, end to end testing of websites for performance, latency, and external element performance (like advertising).
- Three key requirements considered when deciding to write Jiffy.
- Real Data At Scale.
- Measure Anything
- ~0 Impact on Page Perf
- Jiffy functionality:
- Jiffy Library
- apache config
- database schema and rollup scripts
- parse logs and store in any db
- reporting toolset
- Firebug Plugin
- 9:53AM Technical difficulties. Strange music video being played, weapon of mass distraction.
- 9:58AM Artur Bergman, VP of Engineering from Wikia is giving the Keynote. Artur asked for a show of hands to those who know how much it costs to serve a webpage in their organization. Precious few hands went up.
- 10:02AM Wikia had several engineers spend a week in May focusing on performancing. Using Ganglia they were able to identify problems with caching and reduced their CPU loads by 50% accross the board, which delayed their next CAPEX by 6 weeks.
- 10:07AM Ad networks suck. If you work for an ad network, shame on you. Round of applause.
- 10:12AM Now they're playing the "We Didn't Start The Bubble" video. Yay memes!
- 10:16AM John Fowler from Sun is speaking about Innovation That Drives Opportunity for the Web Infrastructure. Talking about Sun's 20kit. Clock rates aren't going up, but the number of cores will keep increasing, threads will become ever and ever more important. This is somewhat of an advertisement for Sun's hardware platforms and upcoming Solaris features.
Participating in a panel on scaling and successful IT operations at Velocity Tuesday.Next Post
Velocity Web Operation and Performance Conference Day 1, Hallway Track
Poor GitHub has been continuously hammered for three days by a DDoS attack aimed at anti-censorship...
We review 5 of the leading network access control products.
With all the public cloud storage offerings on the market today, many vendors just want customers to...
Sponsored by AT&T
Sponsored by Broadview Networks
Google and its partners plan 10 new Chrome OS devices over the next two months. Meet the big three: new...
We used 1 million records exposed as our floor in creating this list. Starting with a number that big...
With the upcoming release of Windows 10, Microsoft looks to rebound from the lukewarm reaction to...
Google's Android for Work and Samsung's Knox promise serious security, but how does they stack up...