- 9:30 AM Missed the breakfast and keynote.
- 9:35 AM Listening to Steve Souders talk about Kite. Very short speech, not so much a keynote a it was a product advertisement for Keynote. Long story short, it's a pretty slick performance metrics system with heavy browser integration.
- 9:40 AM Scott Ruthfield from WhitePages.com is giving his talk, Jiffy: Open Source Performance Measurement and Instrumentation about Jiffy, a newly announced open-source performance monitoring suite. He's comparing it to Gomez and Keynote. It would be nice if O'Reilly would put a link to the software on their age about this talk. Provides real-time, end to end testing of websites for performance, latency, and external element performance (like advertising).
- Three key requirements considered when deciding to write Jiffy.
- Real Data At Scale.
- Measure Anything
- ~0 Impact on Page Perf
- Jiffy functionality:
- Jiffy Library
- apache config
- database schema and rollup scripts
- parse logs and store in any db
- reporting toolset
- Firebug Plugin
- 9:53AM Technical difficulties. Strange music video being played, weapon of mass distraction.
- 9:58AM Artur Bergman, VP of Engineering from Wikia is giving the Keynote. Artur asked for a show of hands to those who know how much it costs to serve a webpage in their organization. Precious few hands went up.
- 10:02AM Wikia had several engineers spend a week in May focusing on performancing. Using Ganglia they were able to identify problems with caching and reduced their CPU loads by 50% accross the board, which delayed their next CAPEX by 6 weeks.
- 10:07AM Ad networks suck. If you work for an ad network, shame on you. Round of applause.
- 10:12AM Now they're playing the "We Didn't Start The Bubble" video. Yay memes!
- 10:16AM John Fowler from Sun is speaking about Innovation That Drives Opportunity for the Web Infrastructure. Talking about Sun's 20kit. Clock rates aren't going up, but the number of cores will keep increasing, threads will become ever and ever more important. This is somewhat of an advertisement for Sun's hardware platforms and upcoming Solaris features.
News that former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez reportedly had committed suicide sent the...
Apple's iPhone 8 release date may be subject to a two-month long delay, pushing it to November.
A review of 18 companies that offer free cloud storage
MIT is selling half of its 16 million valuable IPv4 addresses – an increasingly scarce stash it has...
Learn how to securely leverage the benefits of the cloud by using its strengths to overcome issues that...
Fitness trackers may not present a huge security risk, but any connected device can be hacked. Here’s...
There are a number of things that decision makers can do to protect their companies and minimize, if...