I arrived at Cisco Live (Networkers) yesterday in Orlando and attended my first techtorial on Wireless. Very interesting topic. We getting ready to do a large WLAN upgrade so I've scheduled a whole week of wireless training. Here are some of my first impressions of Networkers this year:
- There is much more space at the Orlando convention center than last year in Anaheim. Anaheim was cramped and we had to use adjacent hotels for classes and sessions. This convention center has all the rooms and plenty of space for 10,000 people. This is more like Las Vegas.
- The area around the convention center is a tourist and restaurant mecca. Easy to get dinner and other stuff. That's nice.
- There is zero - nada, nothing - mobile coverage in some parts of the convention center. I feel naked without my blackberry working. :-( How is it that this place doesn't blanket every room with mobile signal repeaters?
- Snacks are getting cheaper. Maybe it's just the first couple days, but the snacks have been weak. They have worked in some health snacks - like celery and peanut butter packs - but most of the rest are boring and in short supply. Even bottled water has been replaced by water coolers and plastic cups. :-(
- The Cisco store is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. $65 for a Cisco polo shirt. I guess it's more than just gas and food prices going up.
- Support staff - it appears mostly retirees from the area - are very helpful and kind.
- The World of Solutions opening was PACKED, as usual. If they can squeeze another vendor in there, they will. ;-)
- You can get a massage this year right in the main hallway...for a fee....
- I ran into someone who recognized me through this blog and said he really enjoyed reading it. Thanks....so you're the one! ;-)
More >From the Field blog entries:
Go to Cisco Subnet for more Cisco news, blogs, discussion forums, security alerts, book giveaways, and more.