A Tennessee man is facing minor criminal charges after his butt-dialing 911 allowed police to overhear a restaurant conversation in which he allegedly discussed visiting a drug dealer.
And before you say something like “no way” or “get out” or whatever, please be advised that butt-dialing 911 leads to police overhearing stuff that gets people arrested all the time. Or so say the police and Google.
In Tennessee last Friday, the bummed-out butt-dialer was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, according to a TV news report. “Officers told News 2 the suspect had no idea he accidentally called 911 until they told him.”
That’s how butt-dialing works most of the time.
Since I’d never heard of such an occurrence leading to criminal charges, I Googled “arrested AND butt-dialing.” … Jackpot:
- There’s a Florida murder case in which one of the suspects is alleged to have butt-dialed 911 before implicating himself in the crime.
- An Oregon man won himself felony drug charges doing the same.
- Back in Tennessee, the act snagged five people allegedly involved with meth.
- Two burglars in Minnesota got bagged.
- Scranton, Pa., drugs again.
- An Arkansas man butt-dialed his way into a conspiracy to commit murder charge.
And that’s just the first page of search results.
So think about this the next time you’re embarrassed about butt-dialing your ex or the boss: It could be a whole worse.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- "What do I do if my Internet pipes freeze?"
- Yes, I still have an answering machine.
- You broke the network. Do you confess?
- Brian Williams has never lied on Twitter.
- 2015's 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.
- Let's help 2 IT guys find a 1990s photo.
- Guided tour of a Google data center.
- 1987: Steve Jobs explains the mouse to Playboy
- The Onion's 10 greatest gags about Google
- Google Internet balloon drops in on farmer
- Patent issued for filming a yoga class seems a stretch
- What's a 'spagger?' ... (Google's no help)
- Namifying has gotten out of controlify.
- Netflix looking to hire 'Chaos Engineer'
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive.