Because who hasn’t wanted to make a Christmas tree out of wireless access points?
And here is an explanation from Reddit user “d0manic,” apparently a co-worker:
“The tree is comprised of 14, (Cisco Aironet) 1702i APs and the 'star' AP is a 2702i which permits it to also flash blue. These are all associated to a 2504 Wireless LAN Controller going to a POE switch behind the tree. The command "config ap led-state flash indefinite [ap name]" makes them all flash the way they do.
“The controller is associated with Cisco Prime Infrastructure which we can also use to issue random lighting effects on a scheduled basis. All radios are turned off except the top one which broadcasts at low power, "Christmas Tree".
“The construction supplies were about $50 and it bends at the center for portability. The APs themselves were about $300ish apiece except for the 2700 which was closer to $500ish (you can do the math).”
Someone did and came up with $4,750 for an answer. Not clear who footed the bill.
Among the comments: “It Came Upon a Midnight Clearchannel” and “spanning tree protocol.”
And, of course, the AP tree inspired at least one would-be imitator:
“Holy crap, that is so awesome. … Now I'm frantically running around trying to find a POE switch to plug all these into.” These being:
You know you want to.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Thumbing through issue No. 1 of Network World.
- Why this is not the "best selfie ever."
- Apple's autocorrection of "lardass" doesn't make Kardashian the butt of a joke.
- In defense of assuming another's identity.
- For sale: The nuclear fallout bunker of your dreams.
- 2016's 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.
- Networking pros slam AT&T for arming techs with iPads instead of laptops.
- Cisco Aironet APs + vinyl = awesome.
- Old-school sexting, as in circa 1969.
- "Unidentified" adapter no longer unidentified.
- Here's hoping no Amazon workers were harmed in the creation of this feature.
- Overhead projector vs. ceiling fan.
- "Someone has an issue with this rack."
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive.