Blaming the victim is wrong – wrong, wrong, wrong – except when the victim is a blithering idiot.
For an example of the latter I offer up Facebook users who apparently believe that a major supermarket chain is just flat-out giving away a cartload of groceries. From a report on the website of WCVB Channel 5 in Boston:
The post shows the image of a Wegmans storefront with a false claim that the company is giving away a $200 grocery coupon.
“We’re actively working to have this fraudulent post removed from Facebook. We urge consumers not to click it, share it or provide any personal information,” Jo Natale, Wegmans vice president of media relations, said.
Now if it were Whole Foods, maybe. I mean $200 at Whole Foods won’t even get you out of the produce department.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Apple's autocorrection of "lardass" doesn't make Kardashian the butt of a joke.
- 2016's 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.
- Networking pros slam AT&T for arming techs with iPads instead of laptops.
- Cisco Aironet APs + vinyl = awesome.
- Old-school sexting, as in circa 1969.
- "Unidentified" adapter no longer unidentified.
- Here's hoping no Amazon workers were harmed in the creation of this feature.
- Overhead projector vs. ceiling fan.
- "Someone has an issue with this rack."
- RSA Conference bans 'booth babes'
- "What do I do if my Internet pipes freeze?"
- You broke the network. Do you confess?
- The Onion's 10 greatest gags about Google
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive.