Have you ever fantasized about giving a major carrier a taste of its own medicine? A group of professionals gathered on Reddit’s section devoted to networking did so over the weekend and their resulting handiwork is a hoot.
Background: Verizon Wireless is already on this one fellow’s campus in a big way and AT&T wants to up its game there, hopefully with help from the customer. From the initial Reddit user’s telling of the tale:
DigitalDeity: “They're asking us if we have switch ports available for them to plug into, that we can VLAN back to one of their routers that they'll put in one of our closets. LOL NO? I'm not really prepared to become a service provider for AT&T's cellular network.”
Neekz0r: “Wait, what? That's worrying that someone at AT&T thought that would be a good idea. On the other hand, you should take them up on it, actually. Tell them it's unlimited and then give them a 250Mb datacap and it's a $2/Mb after that.”
DigitalDeity: “And after they reach the cap, it's throttled down to EDGE speeds, with traffic shaping and captive portals every 5 minutes, with slipstreamed advertisements for Verizon Wireless?”
Sproon: “And then add a monthly increase 150% for usage in a really beautiful contract you wrote up that has a monthly fee and states they'll be on a low priority thread unless they want to pay more a month.”
Port53: “Don't forget to make them buy their equipment through you, and don't reduce the monthly fee after it's been paid off.”
Voxnemo: “And you have to have an arbitration clause that requires them to use your best friend as an arbitrator, on the island of Fiji, and they have to pay all travel cost - including yours.”
Lawschoolzombie: “In business class.”
Now that was fun.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Thumbing through issue No. 1 of Network World.
- Why this is not the "best selfie ever."
- Apple's autocorrection of "lardass" doesn't make Kardashian the butt of a joke.
- In defense of assuming another's identity.
- For sale: The nuclear fallout bunker of your dreams.
- 2016's 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.
- Networking pros slam AT&T for arming techs with iPads instead of laptops.
- Cisco Aironet APs + vinyl = awesome.
- Old-school sexting, as in circa 1969.
- "Unidentified" adapter no longer unidentified.
- Here's hoping no Amazon workers were harmed in the creation of this feature.
- Overhead projector vs. ceiling fan.
- "Someone has an issue with this rack."
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive.