Truth be told, I am not a model citizen when it comes to password management, so the sentiment behind this latest installment of “Geek-themed Meme of the Week” resonated with me. And the discussion on Reddit that followed was interesting, too.
A suggestion from the comments:
“I just reset it 3 times immediately and go back to the previous password. Works great!”
Followed by applause:
“This is genius.”
Followed by caution:
“It won't always be three times. The server admin can actually set password history to pretty much any number they want. So it may take more than three changes.”
Followed by more cold water:
“We set it so you can't change your password within 30 days without our intervention.”
Me? I’m just going to get better at managing my passwords; been on the to-do list for about a year now.
Welcome regulars and passersby. Here are a few more recent buzzblog items. And, if you’d like to receive Buzzblog via e-mail newsletter, here’s where to sign up. You can follow me on Twitter here and on Google+ here.
- Thumbing through issue No. 1 of Network World.
- Why this is not the "best selfie ever."
- Apple's autocorrection of "lardass" doesn't make Kardashian the butt of a joke.
- In defense of assuming another's identity.
- For sale: The nuclear fallout bunker of your dreams.
- 2016's 25 Geekiest 25th Anniversaries.
- Networking pros slam AT&T for arming techs with iPads instead of laptops.
- Cisco Aironet APs + vinyl = awesome.
- Old-school sexting, as in circa 1969.
- "Unidentified" adapter no longer unidentified.
- Here's hoping no Amazon workers were harmed in the creation of this feature.
- Overhead projector vs. ceiling fan.
- "Someone has an issue with this rack."
- Geek-Themed Meme of the Week Archive.