Perhaps Microsoft smells blood in the water because it's getting more aggressive with its laptop trade-in program. A while back it launched a program to trade in old laptops incapable of being upgraded to Windows 10. Now it has a new program, this time targeting old MacBooks.
According to the trade-in page, users can send in almost any type of MacBook Air or MacBook Pro and they will be eligible for the discount. You might not get very much, and you might be better off selling the thing yourself on Craigslist. Then again, a lot of people are nervous about doing sales like that.
(The police in Buena Park, California came up with a great idea. They created a safe space in a local park for Craigslist meetings and exchanges monitored by a police surveillance camera.)
So, if you want the easier process of trading in your old MacBook, Microsoft has your solution. Of course, there are strings attached, but nothing unreasonable:
- The laptop must be fully functional
- The battery must hold a charge and not be required to be plugged in to operate
- It must not have any damaged, broken or missing components
- It cannot have been modified, and the warranty seal must be intact
- It cannot be password protected
- It must come with original the chargers and accessories
This deal is available for only retail and online stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. You can work out the deal through the online store page or by taking it to your local Microsoft store. Your credit will then be applied to the purchase a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book.