IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series
- Verizon Enterprise chief: We're headed for cloud computing's A-list
- In the battle for the next generation of enterprise IT, John Stratton carries a lot of weapons. Stratton is president of Verizon Enterprise Solutions, the nearly $30 billion unit formed just over a year ago to deliver networking, cloud, mobility, managed security, telematics and a host of other...
Xerox CEO to CIOs: We'll take your mess and make it beautiful
- Top exec Ursula Burns outlines Xerox's widening portfolio of IT, business process and document outsourcing services. Insider (registration required)
Citrix: What kind of company is it anyway?
- Citrix is many different things to many people. It's a cloud company, it's a virtualization player, it's a mobile technologies vendor and it's a collaboration products provider. But according to Mark Templeton, Citrix CEO since 2001, all of that blends together and fits with where enterprise IT...
Q&A: David Schmoock says Lenovo is doing the right thing
- Lenovo is gobbling up market share and is now neck-and-neck with Hewlett Packard for leadership in overall PC sales. For our CEO Interview Series, Chief Content Officer John Gallant talked recently with David Schmoock, President of Lenovo in North America, at IDG Enterprise's CITE conference on...
CDW CEO: On growing services, cloud applications and reshaping IT
- In this installment of the IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series, CDW CEO Thomas Richards spoke with Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how CDW is expanding its strategic services offering, and how mobility and consumerization are expanding growth opportunities for the company. He also talked...
How IT Innovation and Mobility Empower Unilever
- Rod Hefford, CIO for Global Customer Development and Supply Chain at Unilever, discusses they key goals of their Compass strategy, how IT is organized to drive innovation globally. Hefford also explains how mobility is empowering Unilever to respond to changing market conditions and customer needs,...
Webroot's big cloud gamble
- Anti-malware vendor Webroot has bet the company on cloud.
Kaiser Permanente's CIO Aims to Make Healthcare More Delightful
- Kaiser Permanente CIO Philip Fasano discusses how the electronic records 'bet' has paid off and how social and mobile technologies will advance the effort. He also offers advice on making big tech projects successful, how to encourage innovation, what it means for CIOs to be the...
HCL CEO Vineet Nayar: Outsourcing is dead, and there's nothing innovative in cloud technology
- The customer always comes first. Except when it comes to HCL, the $6 billion Indian outsourcing make that co-sourcing giant led by CEO Vineet Nayar, who literally wrote the book on a philosophy known as 'employees first, customer second.' In this latest installment of our CEO Interview...
Chevron's CIO Talks Transformation and Why IT Leaders Should Smile
- In the latest installment of the CIO Interview Series, Louie Ehrlich, CIO and president of Chevron Information Technology Company, talks about the most important things he's learned leading a giant, global IT team through massive change. His answers may sound simple, but they're hard-won...
CIO Ensures Western Union Is Wired for the Future
- At 160 years old, the Western Union brand is firmly embedded in the collective psyche. Need to get cash to someone far away in a hurry? To paraphrase the 'Ghostbusters' theme, you know who to call. But the 2012 version of Western Union is about far more than simply money transfer. Over the...
How IT Helped Shape UL's New Business Strategy
- Underwriters Laboratories' CIO Christian Anschuetz discusses UL's recent transformation from a non-profit to a for-profit organization and how IT shaped and supported that change. He weighs in on the consumerization of IT, offers advice for CIOs, explains why 'big data' without...
Andrew Miller: Polycom will drive the next era of collaboration
- In an exclusive interview, Polycom CEO Andrew Miller talks about the impact of mobility on the visual communications market and about Polycom's move to the cloud
CA Technologies CEO: Doing what the customer needs
- As part of the IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series, William McCracken, chief executive officer of CA Technologies, spoke at the recent CA World conference to IDGE Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how the concept of 'business service innovation' is driving CA's business. Insider...
Q&A: Nimsoft CEO Chris O'Malley touts new 'supply chain of IT'
- Systems monitoring and management may be headed to the cloud as management-as-a-service. Nimsoft CEO Chris O'Malley explains what that means and how it will affect IT in this Q&A -- part of the ongoing IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series.
Oracle's best-of-breed strategy, as described by president Mark Hurd
- It used to be easy journalistic shorthand to write 'database-giant Oracle Corp.', but that labeling no longer fits a company that's now a key player in applications, appliances, servers, development tools, operating systems and, yes, even cloud computing. How do all these components gel...
Enterasys CEO: Total cost of ownership sets us apart
- How's this for a challenge? The CEO dies suddenly and you're tabbed to take his place -- on the heels of your network infrastructure company entering into a major new strategic partnership and in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. Oh, did I mention your competition...
TIBCO CEO: How Real-Time Computing Will Change the Landscape
- Vivek Ranadive is not only the chief executive officer of TIBCO Software, Inc., he's a New York Times bestselling author (of works like The Power of Now, The Power to Predict and the recently released The Two-Second Advantage: How We Succeed by Anticipating the Future -- Just Enough.) As you'd...
Acme Packet: 'We're building a signaling system for the Internet'
- Not familiar with the terms "session border controller" or "session delivery network"? Don't worry. Andy Ory, CEO of fast-growing Bedford, Mass.-based Acme Packet, is more than happy to share his passionate vision of how SBCs and SDNs -- and the emerging era of "opt-in communications" -- will...
VMware CEO: What we plan for the post-PC era
- Paul Maritz, CEO of VMware, sees virtualization as one piece of the platform VMware intends to offer a mobile, cloud-enabled world
- Attachmate boss on Novell buyout: Great brands, little overlap
- The Attachmate Group this week finalized its $2.2 billion buyout of network industry pioneer Novell, which begins the next phase of its evolution. Attachmate will operate Novell as two separate business units, one focused on the Novell brand and the other on the SUSE Linux brand. In addition, the...
LANDesk CEO talks up 'end user in' strategy
- LANDesk Software CEO Steve Daly says success in managing and securing your IT environment means managing from the 'end user in,' not from the data center out.
QlikTech CEO's Weapon: Frustration With Big BI
- Business users often watch as IT deploys costly, complex BI programs that take months to arrive -- then fail to deliver the needed insights. QlikTech CEO Lars Bjork says you don't have to take it anymore. In this Q&A, he explains how his company's data discovery tools give the power to users -- and...
HP's Leo Apotheker: We're heading to the cloud
- In an exclusive interview, HP's new CEO expands on his strategy and offers frank assessments of his competition
Symantec's Salem: Cloud was game-changer for us
- Symantec Corp. CEO Enrique Salem outlines why 03 is such a critical initiative for the company, and how cloud and virtualization changed the security threat landscape and the business opportunities for Symantec.
SonicWall CEO: Application awareness crucial for IT security
- SonicWall once focused on small and midsize businesses, but its introduction earlier this year of a next-generation firewall line dubbed SuperMassive leaves no doubt that the company is now taking aim at larger enterprises. In fact, the privately-held San Jose company's CEO, Matt Madeiros, says the...
F5 Networks gunning for even more data center control
- Interview with John McAdam, CEO of F5 Networks, which has managed to garner nearly half of the Layer 4-7 switching market.
Smartphone and iPad-crazy enterprises playing right into Aruba Networks' hands
- The influx of smartphones, tablets and other wireless devices into businesses is making many employees more productive, but Aruba Networks is seeing firsthand how much strain all of this newfound mobility is putting on the enterprise IT and security staffs that are its customers. In this...
Brocade CEO says Ethernet fabrics will undermine Cisco's dominance
- Brocade swallowed Foundry Networks a few years ago and has been hard at work ever since marrying the best of Brocade's storage network assets with Foundry's high-end Ethernet network tech. The result, says CEO Michael Klayko, is an emerging product line that positions the company perfectly for the...
Avaya CEO: How video will change business world
- Last Wednesday, Avaya, Inc. made a splash in New York City with a portfolio of new collaboration products, including the Flare Experience multimedia conferencing system, a new tablet designed to support the Flare software and the web.alive (stet) virtual reality meeting service, among other...
Riverbed CEO: Cisco can have Layer 2 and 3 networking, we'll take 4 through 7
- If you think WAN optimization is a niche market, don't bring it up around Jerry Kennelly. Co-founder, chairman and CEO of Riverbed Technology, Kennelly is a fervent believer that WAN optimization is the foundation for the next generation of IT infrastructure and that Riverbed is poised for a...
- What makes Sybase worth nearly $6 billion to SAP?
- Sybase CEO John Chen, in an interview shortly before SAP announced plans to buy Sybase for about $6 billion, gives clues about why his company might be worth so much. The mobile enterprise has a lot to do with it.
- Cisco CEO Chambers: 'I did not want to compete against IBM and HP'
- Cisco CEO John Chambers on how the company is dealing with a whole slew of new partners and competitors
SAS chief: Hot on fraud detection, cool on cloud computing
- At a recent media event, SAS CEO Dr. Jim Goodnight spoke with IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how businesses did -- and didn't -- take advantage of BI during the downturn and how the economy has changed the playing field in the BI market.