- 12 iPhones Apps That Will Make You a Networking Star
- 10 Careers Robots Are Taking From You
- Big Data Gold Isn't Always Where You Would Expect It
- 6 Tips to Build Your Social Media Strategy
Network World - Among the 84,000 open tech positions currently listed on Dice.com, there are roughly 1,400 job listings that say a master's of business administration is preferred, and they come from a variety of industries, says Tom Silver, senior vice president, North America, at the tech jobs site.
"Today, we still see the MBA as preferred vs. required. However, I do think we're heading in the direction for more required master's degrees," Silver says.
CAREER PLANS: Should tech pros get an MBA?
Here are seven examples of IT job postings that desire an MBA:
* Amazon.com is looking to hire a head of HR information systems. Responsibilities of this position include: developing relationships with Amazon's HR and payroll organizations as a critical business partner; managing a global IT team; developing a highly scalable HR systems architecture; and transforming the team from its engineering roots to a full service IT organization. "MBA preferred but not required," the job posting states.
* Walgreens is recruiting for a director of application services in its Enterprise Shared Services (ESS) division. Responsibilities include: serving as the interface between one business unit and ESS; playing a role in IT strategy development, risk management, and relationship management; ensuring successful execution of projects, software releases, and new technology installations. An MBA or master's degree is preferred.
* NASCAR is working to improve its IT operations and plans to hire a director of business development and emerging technology who will develop, coordinate, and execute NASCAR's technology partnership strategy. Responsibilities include: identifying technology needs that may present partnership opportunities; networking with leading and emerging tech companies; and writing business development and partnership plans for NASCAR's technology category. An MBA is preferred.
BACK TO SCHOOL: 10 tech-centric MBA programs
* Biopharmaceutical company Celgene Corp. is looking to hire an associate director for business requirements management and architecture. Responsibilities include: developing a business analysis practice; directing a team of business analysts; and leading strategic business-area analysis in conjunction with the company's global business partners. An MBA or master's degree is preferred.
* Lakeland Regional Medical Center in Lakeland, Fla., is searching for a Lawson systems administrator to assess, coordinate, implement and evaluate IT support needs for business operations. Responsibilities include: process analysis; identifying system requirements; and developing and managing project plans for the deployment of new applications. Related experience in a healthcare environment is preferred, as is an MBA.
* Columbia Sportswear is hiring a SAP warehouse management manager within its IT department. Responsibilities include: design, implementation, and support of the related SAP functionality; overseeing a team of business analysts; and developing and reviewing business process maps, design documents, and development/enhancement requests. An MBA is preferred.