- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
Network World - Keep in mind Professor Trelawney's divination class at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft Wizardry, and much of what happened in the iOSphere this week becomes clear.
Here you will explore the noble art of divination, discover you possess The Sight and together we shall cast ourselves into The Future!
Look, concentrate, set your imagination free and the mysterious workings of Apple's supply chain arrangements with OEMs reveal their true meanings.
[ IPHONEYS: The iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S edition ]
Also this week: why Apple is copying Samsung, eyeball tracking, and rival rumors over whose silicon will appear when in what iPhone.
You read it here second.
"Latest rumours about the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S suggest that Apple seems to be lacking innovation and now [is] copying some of the features of the Samsung Galaxy S4 bound to be released on March 14."
This is one of those iOSphere Ancillary Facts, which play a critical role as "proof" that rumors are actually grounded in fact and knowledge instead of fantasy and guesswork. Even assuming it is true, an Ancillary Fact is completely unsurprising and indeed meaningless in and of itself; but it sounds like one of those insider details that really smart people know, or ought to know.
Know Your Mobile's Clare Hopping is swept away by a KGI Research "report" that declares that the long-expected, un-announced, low-cost iPhone will be manufactured by two OEM companies: Foxconn will handle 25% of the production run and Pegatron the remaining 75%; and Foxconn also will crank out the iPhone 5S.
After all, if a securities analyst has said it, it must be true. The "fact" that Apple is or will or might or could have more than one OEM building a product actually tells us nothing about that product or about Apple's plans.
Hopping then marries the Ancillary Fact with other Utterly Unfounded Rumors to create the illusion that we know something. For example, the budget iPhone will have a smaller screen (smaller than 4 inches or smaller than 3.5 inches?), and "may get rid of" the "home screen design" -- whatever that means -- as revealed by Apple patent filings, which of course always unfailingly further demonstrate what's certain to appear in the Next iPhone.
There's no way to gently say that this rumor is, simply, barking mad.
"Latest rumours about the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S suggest that Apple seems to be lacking innovation and now [is] copying some of the features of the Samsung Galaxy S4 bound to be released on March 14," according to Kristin Mariano, in a post at International Business Times. "It seems that Apple is now following the trend and no longer sets the trend for smartphones in the market."