- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
VoIP, unified messaging, products and services
Network World - Product announcements are already starting to roll in from a variety of sources in advance of Mobile World Congress (MWC) being held in Barcelona, and we'll be sure to highlight the news from the conference related to VoIP and unified communications in our next edition. But as a prelude to MWC, today we'd like to offer some background information released earlier this month by Cisco with its "Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015".
Looking back to 2010, the Cisco study deduced that global mobile data traffic had increased 159% over the year, and that global mobile data traffic grew 4.2 times faster than global fixed broadband data. According to the study, "global mobile data traffic in 2010 was three times the size of all global Internet traffic (fixed and mobile) in the year 2000."
Looking ahead to 2015, the forecast predicts:
• more than 5.6 billion personal devices will be connected to mobile networks, and there will also be 1.5 billion machine-to-machine nodes,
• video will represent 66 % of all mobile data traffic, increasing 35-fold from 2010 to 2015, showing the highest growth rate of any mobile data application,
• mobile traffic from tablet devices will grow 205-fold from 2010 to 2015, the highest growth rate of any device category tracked,
• the volume of mobile data traffic will reach 6.3 exabytes per month, representing the equivalent of 19 billion DVDs and 75 times the amount of global Internet Protocol traffic (fixed and mobile) generated in the year 2000,
• more than 7.1 billion connected mobile devices (excluding Wi-Fi connections) representing nearly one mobile connected device for each member of the world's population based on the United Nations' population estimate for 2015.
Our thanks to Cisco for sharing these results and predictions. For more details from the survey, please click here: Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015.
Read more about voip & convergence in Network World's VoIP & Convergence section.
Steve Taylor is president of Distributed Networking Associates and publisher/editor-in-chief of Webtorials. Larry Hettick, an independent analyst and consultant, is a 30-year industry veteran. He has covered VoIP and UC at Network World for 12 years.