Security companies commit Anti-Virus 'Piracy' on unsuspecting users

Piracy - An act of robbery on the high seas or an act resembling such robbery. I am not talking about stealing software (hence the definition); rather I am talking about committing acts that resemble that kind of high seas robbery. Why do I say that you ask? I had a friend ask me to look at her Mom’s laptop, which came from the manufacturer with a security suite of software pre-installed. You know what I am going to say next don’t you. The system is loaded with viruses because the updates for antivirus definitions ran–out. So the personal firewall works (even though Windows XP’s firewall works just fine, but that’s another story). Content blocking is good, identity protection is working, but the antivirus, the most important portion of the security suite is not protecting the computer. Now it’s interesting that all these security suites started out as Antivirus software companies. Understandably, as the bad guys get worse they needed to develop security products to address those issues. What has become unbelievable to me is that at $49- $79 a pop they immediately stop protecting persons PC’s from the most serious threat of all VIRUSES! Now I am not exactly anti- corporate (I mean.., come on… I am a Microsoft guy). I understand making a buck, but I think there is a better way to handle people not updating a subscription or upgrading to the latest and greatest. And let’s face 90% of the people who are getting the short end of the stick are probably not aware that the antivirus signatures are not updated. The other 10% in this economy cannot afford to do anything about it anyway. Most consumers are loyal; to the major player since they have been around a while so they pay a premium and are afraid to try open source or free solutions. Nice ways to pay back loyalty guys, what’s the next move completely wipe out the harddrive if they don’t pay up. Rather than forcing consumers over a barrel and basically committing piracy, why not allow the virus signature updates and perhaps limit scanning to only full scans (no customization, no fancy stuff) just basic antivirus protection. Personally, I have given up on these big bulky packages that seem to cause more harm than good. I just go with a good ole basic free antivirus package like AVG or ClamWin. For spyware I go with Windows Defender, it’s free it gets the job done and I am not left feeling like I either have to cough up cash or walk the plank. In the meantime I have an afternoon of using a free (and portable antivirus solution), uninstalling commercial antivirus software and replacing it with something not as fancy but that will actually protect the computer. And to think the manufacturer got paid to do what I am going to do for free...NICE.

Join the Network World communities on Facebook and LinkedIn to comment on topics that are top of mind.
Now read: Getting grounded in IoT