• United States

Automation viewed positively by IT managers

May 07, 20032 mins
Data Center

* Automation seen as a boon, survey says

Many thanks to those of you who responded to our recent survey on automation. We’ve compiled the data and are in the process of finishing the report. An interesting finding of the survey is that fully half of the respondents use automation wherever they can, with 95% using some sort of automation. On the other end of the spectrum, 5% prefer not to automate at all.

The top three results that IT managers are looking to receive from automation are:

* Handling repetitive operational tasks

* Managing proactively rather than reactively

* Handling repetitious maintenance tasks

The greatest rapid payback from automation, both short- and long-term, is identified as “managing more resources with less personnel.”

A majority of IT managers also see great potential for efficiency in automation. This positive view of automation indicates a high likelihood that adoption of automation is on the upswing.

Finally, another interesting result is that maintaining or improving service levels, and ensuring the continuity of the business process, also rate high on the list of benefits of automation, reinforcing the fact that IT recognizes that enabling the business is what this is all about.

So as you look for automation built into management tools, look beyond functions that reduce operating expenses to features that improve and maintain service levels.

Again, many thanks to those of you who were kind enough to respond to our survey to share your viewpoints. You input indicates that the future of automation looks very positive.